About Export Assistance & Marketing
Our international trade team provides individualized counseling and expertise to Kansas companies developing or expanding export markets.
Why Consider Exporting?
- Nearly 95 percent of the world's consumers live outside of the United States. So if a U.S. business is only selling domestically, it's reaching just a small share of potential customers.
- Exporting enables companies to diversify their portfolios and to weather changes in the domestic economy.
- Exporting helps small companies grow and become more competitive in all their markets.
- Free trade agreements have opened up markets in Australia, Chile, Singapore, Jordan, Israel, Canada, Mexico and Central America, creating more opportunities for U.S. businesses.
The Economic Impact of Exporting
- About one of every five factory jobs - or 20 percent of all jobs in America's manufacturing sector - depend on exports. Workers in jobs supported by merchandise exports typically receive wages higher than the national average.
- In the past 25-plus years, U.S. exports increased five-fold from $224 billion to more than $1.3 trillion in 2008.
- Small businesses create 70 percent of the new jobs in America.
The Number of Exporters is Growing
- Because nearly two-thirds of small- and medium-sized exporters only sell to one foreign market, many of these firms could boost exports by expanding the number of countries they sell to.
- More than two-thirds of exporters have fewer than 20 employees.
- Small- and medium-sized firms account for the vast majority of growth in new exporters.
- Small- and medium-sized companies account for almost 97 percent of U.S. exporters, but still represent only about 30 percent of the total export value of U.S. goods.
How We Help
Division staff provides the following export services to help with your international marketing activities:
- Assist in locating export financing packages that fit your company's needs
- Coordinate with state, federal and foreign agencies in marketing promotions
- Conduct export seminars
- Counsel individual Kansas firms regarding international marketing
- Distribute foreign trade leads to appropriate Kansas companies
- Host foreign delegations
- Provide export data and foreign market research
- Recruit and assist company participation in international trade shows
In addition to the services from our Kansas team, we also have an international representative in Mexico to help Kansas companies in their respective regions. Service and assistance available from our team includes:
- Conduct competitor and price analysis
- Identify distributors, partners, joint ventures and buyers
- Perform local market research
- Research local rules, regulations and certification requirements
- Schedule business itineraries for Kansas executives when visiting these regions