Click to Home

Go To Search

Agency Newsroom

Posted on: February 28, 2011

Travel & Tourism Division announces tourism project awards for Topeka, Wamego

The Kansas Department of Commerce’s Travel & Tourism Division will provide a combined $53,920 in Attraction Development Grant funding to two Kansas organizations to develop tourism projects. The recipients are the Kansas Children’s Discover Center Inc. and the Wamego Community Foundation. They will match the Department’s investment with a combined $6,658,886 in leveraged funds, bringing the total value of the projects to $6,712,806.


The Attraction Development Grant Program assists the development of authentic experiences that encourage travelers to visit Kansas. Grants may be used for various activities necessary to expand the tourism product base or develop new attractions. The grant funds up to 40 percent of a project, with the community or businesses funding the remaining 60 percent.

“The Attraction Development Grant Program serves a great purpose in helping tourism destinations reach their full potential,” said the Department’s Travel & Tourism Director Becky Blake. “These are two very deserving projects that will enhance their communities through increased tourism.”

Funding for the Attraction Development Grant Program is provided by the Economic Development Initiatives Fund, which is derived from lottery proceeds. Grant guidelines and applications are available at www.TravelKS.com under the “Tourism Industry” link. Project descriptions follow:

Kansas Children’s Discovery Center Inc. (Topeka)
• Attraction Development Grant: $50,000
• Total Leveraged: $6,653,000
• Total Project Value: $6,703,000
Funding will assist with the building of the center’s outdoor learning area. The center is an interactive, hands-on facility where children ages 10 years and younger learn by doing, seeing, touching and experience. Learn more about the center at www.kansasdiscovery.org.

Wamego Community Foundation
• Attraction Development Grant: $3,920
• Total Leveraged: $5,886
• Total Project Value: $9,806
Funding will assist with the creation of the “Yellow Brick Road” to compliment other OZ related businesses. The Yellow Brick Road will be located across from the OZ museum in downtown Wamego between two businesses and will be a pathway to the city park. Learn more about the foundation at www.thewcf.org.

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Agency Newsroom

Expo for Hispanic small business owners

Posted on: September 26, 2016

2016 KANSASWORKS Statewide Job Fair

Posted on: September 15, 2016

Kansas Hispanic Entrepreneurs Expo

Posted on: November 12, 2015

FABCON Precast expands to Kansas

Posted on: January 14, 2015

kk-electronic expands operations to Lenexa

Posted on: February 13, 2014

Crosswind Petfoods to move to Topeka

Posted on: November 8, 2013

HairUWear will open facility in Lenexa

Posted on: October 14, 2013

CritiTech Expands Into New Headquarters

Posted on: September 16, 2013

MarketSphere plans move to Kansas

Posted on: July 23, 2013

eLuminate Health opens in Leawood

Posted on: February 5, 2013

Telamon to open facility in Kansas City

Posted on: January 31, 2013

GM invests $600 million in Fairfax plant

Posted on: January 28, 2013

Southwest Airlines is coming to Kansas

Posted on: January 13, 2012

HomePrintEmailRSS
Facebook
Windmills
Home Contact Us Sitemap Accessibility Copyright Notice Photo Credits Employment Kansas.gov
Kansas Department of Commerce, 1000 S.W. Jackson St., Suite 100, Topeka, KS 66612-1354
(785) 296-3481      TTY - 711      Fax (785) 296-5055