Business Appreciation Month Awards
Business Appreciation Month serves as a statewide tribute to Kansas businesses for their contributions to our state. The awards program takes place each spring and invites individuals and organizations to nominate the proud Kansas businesses that contribute jobs and support their local communities. Finalists are recognized at the Team Kansas awards ceremony in June, with the top nominee receiving the Governor's Award of Excellence which is the top award given to a business by the state of Kansas.
We will start accepting nominations for the 2014 program in February. Check back for more details.
The intent of the program is to recognize Kansas businesses for their contributions to the local and state economy. Kansas businesses continue to be the foundation of our economy, communities and overall quality of life, and Business Appreciation Month is the state's way of recognizing Kansas businesses for all they do to keep Kansas strong.
The first step of the process is for businesses to be nominated for the award. Chambers of commerce, economic development organizations, small business development centers, organizations and individuals are encouraged to nominate companies for the awards program. Companies may also nominate themselves.
Nominations are accepted through late March or early April. Nominations are evaluated during the month of April with regional winners in the manufacturing/distribution, service, retail and hospital/non-profit categories selected. In May, the overall finalists give a presentation about their company and community involvement to the panel of judges. The recipient of the Governor's Award of Excellence is then announced in June at the Team Kansas awards ceremony.
Award qualifications include:
For more information on the Business Appreciation Month program, click here.
- Business expansion in Kansas
- Successful employee retention and recruitment practices
- Employee training/educational programs
- Capital investment in Kansas
- Support of local activities including school activities, community events, economic development and leadership programs
If you have any questions regarding the Business Appreciation Month program, please contact Krista Mellen at or (785) 296-7911.
J-A-G Construction - Dodge City
- 2013: B & W Trailer Hitches - Humboldt
- 2012: Nex-Tech, Inc. - Lenora
- 2011: AuBurn Pharmacy, Inc. - Garnett
- 2010: Landoll Corporation - Marysville
- 2009: BTI Greensburg - Greensburg
- 2008: Crossland Construction Company - Columbus
- 2007: Black & Veatch - Overland Park
- 2006: ICM - Colwich
- 2005: Watco Companies - Pittsburg
- 2004: Shelton Collision Repair - Derby
- 2003: Epic Touch Company - Elkhart
- 2002: Steel & Pipe Supply Company - Manhattan
- 2001: Capitol Federal Savings Bank - Topeka
- 2000: Olathe Health Systems - Olathe
- 1999: Midwest Energy, Inc. - Hays
- 1998: Taylor Forge Engineered Systems, Inc. - Paola
- 1997: Gates Rubber Company - Iola
- 1996: Koch Industries - Wichita
- 1995: Calibrated Forms, Inc. - Columbus