Business Appreciation Month Awards
Kansas Business Appreciation Month (BAM) serves as a statewide tribute to Kansas businesses for their contributions to our state. The awards program takes place each spring and invites individuals and organizations to nominate the proud Kansas businesses that contribute jobs and support their local communities. Finalists are recognized at an awards ceremony during the Team Kansas/Kansas Cavalry awards banquet in June, with the top nominee receiving the Governor's Award of Excellence which is the top award given to a business by the state of Kansas.
The nomination period has closed. Merit awards, regional winners and finalists will be announced the week of May 27 with the Governor's Award of Excellence winner recognized at the Team Kansas/Kansas Cavalry Awards Banquet on June 11 at Emporia State University. Good luck to all nominees!
The intent of the program is to recognize Kansas businesses for their contributions to the local and state economy. Kansas businesses continue to be the foundation of our economy, communities and overall quality of life, and Business Appreciation Month is the state's way of recognizing Kansas businesses for all they do to keep Kansas strong.
The first step of the process is for businesses to be nominated for the award. Chambers of commerce, economic development organizations, small business development centers, organizations and individuals are encouraged to nominate companies for the awards program. Companies may also nominate themselves.
Nominations are accepted through late March or early April and will be evaluated during the month of April with regional winners in the manufacturing/distribution, service, retail and hospital/non-profit categories selected. Overall finalists are selected from the pool of regional winners, and in May the finalists give a presentation about their company and community involvement to the panel of judges. The recipient of the Governor's Award of Excellence is then announced in June at the Team Kansas/Kansas Cavalry Awards Banquet.
Award qualifications include:
- Business expansion in Kansas
- Successful employee retention and recruitment practices
- Employee training/educational programs
- Capital investment in Kansas
- Support of local activities including school activities, community events, economic development and leadership programs
J-A-G Construction - Dodge City
- 2012: Nex-Tech, Inc. - Lenora
- 2011: AuBurn Pharmacy, Inc. - Garnett
- 2010: Landoll Corporation - Marysville
- 2009: BTI Greensburg - Greensburg
- 2008: Crossland Construction Company - Columbus
- 2007: Black & Veatch - Overland Park
- 2006: ICM - Colwich
- 2005: Watco Companies - Pittsburg
- 2004: Shelton Collision Repair - Derby
- 2003: Epic Touch Company - Elkhart
- 2002: Steel & Pipe Supply Company - Manhattan
- 2001: Capitol Federal Savings Bank - Topeka
- 2000: Olathe Health Systems - Olathe
- 1999: Midwest Energy, Inc. - Hays
- 1998: Taylor Forge Engineered Systems, Inc. - Paola
- 1997: Gates Rubber Company - Iola
- 1996: Koch Industries - Wichita
- 1995: Calibrated Forms, Inc. - Columbus