|There's something special about life in rural Kansas. Something authentic and wholesome. Something that makes it the ideal place to live, work and raise a family. And thanks to the new Rural Opportunity Zones program, there's never been a better time than now to make rural Kansas your new home. If you're looking for lower cost
of living and better quality of life, Kansas is your best choice.
Rural Opportunity Zones are 73 counties that have been authorized to offer one or both of the following financial incentives to new full-time residents:
- Kansas income tax waivers for up to five years
- Student loan repayments up to $15,000
To be eligible for Kansas income tax waivers, individuals must have:
- established residency in a ROZ county on or after July 1, 2011
- lived outside Kansas for five or more years immediately prior to establishing residency in a ROZ county
- earned less than $10,000 in Kansas Source Income in each of the five years immediately prior to establishing residency in a ROZ county
To be eligible for student loan repayments, individuals must:
- establish residency in a ROZ county after July 1, 2011 and on or after the date on which the county opts-in to the student loan program
- hold an associate's, bachelor's or post-graduate degree
- have an outstanding student loan balance
See frequently asked questions of accepted applicants here.
See frequently asked questions of applicants who are on a waitlist here.
Access W-9 form here.
Download the ROZ Confirmation of Payment Agreement form here.
For more information about the Rural Opportunity Zones program, click here or contact:
Kansas Department of Commerce
For more information about the state income tax exemption click here or contact:
Kansas Department of Revenue
Office of Policy and Research